The name corona originated from the word ‘crown’ because this virus looks like a crown under a microscope. The World Health Organization named it COVID-19. This virus is affecting more and more countries with the passage of time. According to CNN, 35 cases have been reported in the US alone while hundreds in Italy and Iran. It is a newly found family of viruses that were never seen before. The experts say that the virus came from the seafood in Wuhan, China. According to the World Health Organization (WHO), this virus is found in the animals, and it can be transmitted into humans as well. As know, there are around 40 different types of coronavirus that may be constantly in human body. Thanks to strong immune system, without doing any serious harm to human.
Coronaviruses were first discovered and identified in the mid-1960ssource: usnews.com
Symptoms of Coronavirus
The coronavirus has very mild symptoms, but they become dangerous with the passage of time. Sometimes the symptoms of coronavirus are not clear, and you may spend days and even weeks carrying this virus. In severe cases, the symptoms may lead to the death of an individual. According to the NEJM study published on January 29, the symptoms of the virus show up after five days of being infected. This is called the incubation period, and it may last for 24 days. Some of the most common symptoms of the virus include;
In most of the cases, the body temperature rises, and people usually ignore it. The people who were diagnosed with the virus had pretty elevated body temperature. The airport officials are checking the body temperature of the passengers who are coming from China as it is a clear sign of whether someone is infected or not.
A person infected with coronavirus will experience coughing. If you have cough and travelled to China, or the neighbouring countries such as Malaysia, Hong Kong, and Thailand, then you must see a doctor. CDC recommends removing a patient from the isolation centre if he doesn’t experience coughing.
Shortness of breath
Coronavirus affects the respiratory system, and you feel trouble while breathing. In cases of Acute Respiratory Distress Syndrome (ARDS), and this leads to septic shock in which the body organs don’t have enough oxygen. It is the most prominent symptoms, especially those who are elder, smokers and people with a previous medical condition.
Some other frequently seen symptoms of the virus are as follow
- Sore throat
- A runny nose
According to FamilyDoctor, about 15-20% of the cases have become a server, especially those who were with the weak immune system. In severe cases, it leads to organ failure and ultimately, death.
Prevention from Coronavirus
According to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC), there is no vaccine for the coronavirus to prevent the illness. You should avid from being exposed to the virus as much as you can. Following are some of the precaution that you should keep into account as these are recommended by the CDC and WHO.
Protect Yourself from the Virus
- Always wash your hands properly. Use soap, clean water to wash hands. Hands are in contact with the various thing around you, so the first and the foremost thing is to wash your hands.
- Don’t cough or sneeze openly but always cover your mouth with a tissue paper so that someone might not get affected by the droplets.
- Don’t leave the room if you have a cough or slightly high body temperature.
- Always clean the things that are around you. Clean the things that you use on a regular basis.
- Don’t leave home without any reason. If you are in China, try to stay home and follow the state rules when you leave your home.
Seek Medical Guidance
- WHO recommends contacting your doctor when you have a constant fever, headache, coughing and any organ failure. It is important to tell him where you live and where you have travelled recently.
- Answer the doctor honestly without hiding anything.
Practice Food Safety
- Don’t eat the sick animals and the animals that are died of the disease.
- Use the different knives and chopping boards if possible.
- Eat only hygienic foods.
- It is important to avoid contact with raw, cooked foods and meat of wild animals.
Precautions While Travelling
- Bring about all the safety measures when you are going to travel in the country that is under this virus.
- Avoid Travel If you have fever or cough.
- If you have experienced any health condition during travelling, then contact with the medical staff ASAP and let them know your condition.
- Avoid spitting in the public.
- Word Health organization don’t recommend cancelling travel plan, but you need to take into account safety measures.
- If you have anyone who visited China, avoid close contact with him. This applies to the other countries that are facing the horrible consequences of the virus.
Keep in Mind
- There is no vaccine to treat the illness. Therefore, the first priority is to avoid person to person contact.
- The virus can travel about 1 meter so always avoid close contact.
- This virus can stay alive on any surface for over a day.
- Stay 2 meter away from anyone with symptoms.
- The area of Nose, Mouth and Eyes is known as T-zone that is an entry point for the virus. So avoid these body parts.
Treatment for Coronavirus
There is no vaccine of this disease, and the researchers are struggling day and night to discover the vaccine for the disease. Hospitals basically support patients by providing them with a good environment, antiviral medications, breathing support, for example, ventilation. Doctors also give patient steroids so that lungs swelling will reduce, which makes patients a little bit relaxed. Blood plasma transfusion is also given to patients by doctors. Doctors can increase the chance of patient living by giving them supportive care to help them breathe.
Progress for the Treatment of COVID-19 in China
Now, China has more than 80 running or pending medical trials on the treatment of the Coronavirus. Pharmaceutical drugs are also listed in the registry of China’s coronavirus treatments trials. China has also developed a few trials that test chloroquine, a drug that killed off grains. But no drugs and medicines are approved effective against this virus.
But if we talk about traditional treatment, then traditional Chinese methods are very helpful in treating more than half of the patients of coronavirus. Wang, deputy head of China’s national health medicine elaborate that TCM has been applied in a few cryonics patients, and it affects patients in a positive way in a great manner. Thus, the use of TCM is one and only treatment for coronavirus patients.
Remdesivir has been excellent against the Ebola virus, and this medication worked well for the first patient of COVID-19 in the US. However, a large scale clinical trial is in progress in China. In future, the researcher will develop a vaccine. Till then, you need to care for yourself and follow all the safety measures.